Ten Ideas for Authors To Utilize Social Media for Marketing
a. Hashtags are keywords that people use to find things going on with Twitter or Instagram. If I wanted to enter some contests to win stuff from authors, I’d go to Twitter and type in “giveaway” --- try it out, I just did and there are at least 100 tweets with that keyword in the last hour. On Twitter, if you want to know what’s happening take a look at the “trending now” – those are keywords most used at the moment.
2. Sticking with keywords, do you use them when you post a blog? People actually go on blogger and keyword search for blogs about things that a person wants to read about. For this blog post, I will use a keyword of top ten, marketing for authors, marketing, books, indie author, top ten tips, tips for authors, writing,
3 3. Use Twitter the smart way. Who has time to tweet all day? I don't. I use a program to do my tweets for me. Usually on Sunday, I will figure out what authors I want to pimp during the week, a few random tweets about random things, and about book sales I might have. I use www.twuffer.com but many use tweetdeck. Pick what works for you!
4. Write a book description that will knock your potential readers socks off! You can go to Author Central to update your book info. Do you need help? Check this out - http://authormarketingclub.com/members/free-book/
5. If you're an author, you've probably heard of Bookbub. There are other places that will generate sales for lower prices. You can schedule with several of the places for the same day and get more exposure. Here are a few - http://www.fkbooksandtips.com/for-authors/regular-book-posting/ http://www.booksends.com/ http://ereadernewstoday.com/ http://www.pixelofink.com/
6. If you're not familiar with Facebook Events, get familiar. When you have a book release, you can have a party and invite people. Go out and spend some money for goodies to give out. Authors and bloggers are happy to join in on the fun, invite them! Don't spam them, that's very bad form. Give away $5 gift cards to Amazon - give away e books by other authors.
7. Pinterest! Create a board with your inspirations for your book. Your dream cast for the movie is a big hit with fans. Create a board with all your favorite blogs and favorite books. Fans like to know what you read too!
8. Blog! Authors are always looking for bloggers to do a cover reveal, sign up and do the reveal. When you are ready to do your own cover reveal, you can send a message to the authors you helped out and ask if they would mind doing one for you. Don't demand it!
9. Do NOT use Facebook to post all of the things that tick you off. Recently, I saw a negative status and I went to check out their wall - every single status over a month was all negative. They hated everything and everyone. There's enough negativity in the world, post positive things. Find a funny meme to share if you have nothing nice to say. Golden rule, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
10. Join the writing groups on Facebook. There are tons of them everywhere. Keep in mind though, if it is a site that is only a place to announce your book is on sale, people don't usually look at them. Join groups that are in the same genre you write. Type in keywords to search for groups. There are critique groups, indie groups, blogger groups, young adult groups.... you get the idea.